Tuesday, March 05, 2013

The Writing on the Wall

A few months ago my therapist suggested this thing called a “gluten free” diet. I honestly pretended to listen to what it was about but I know what gluten is. It’s in all my favorite foods, why would I give that up. I am a carb addict. Pasta, bread, muffins, donuts, I love it all. I try and curb my carbs so I don’t gain weight but I have trouble losing it.

The problem is, I have a problem with fatigue and med changes have not helped. My weight loss attempts in the last few years have been very short lived and I am struggling to stay afloat.

Thursday, my therapist asked again if I had considered going gluten free and pointed out that the issues I was having were some of the same my son was having. If I wouldn’t consider trying something that could possible benefit me, would I consider it for him? Friday, my MD asked a very similar question. Both recommended that I pick up the book The Wheat Belly and read it.

Thus the Gluten Experiment as we will call it, begins. I honestly don’t know what to expect or if it will make a difference but we as a family will abstain for the next six weeks. Oh, joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment