Sunday, March 24, 2013

Laundry

A few years ago a friend of mine wanted me to try her all natural homemade laundry detergent. I kindly declined. I have the brand of laundry detergent that I use and I was happy with it. Why change?

Early in my marriage to save money we would buy what ever was on sale, as long as the clothes came out clean it really did not matter. Powder detergent was a pain so we stick to liquid. When I was pregnant with Timmy I broke out in hives due to the laundry detergent we were using. We found a well named brand that did not break me out and we decided to stick with it. The downside of this was that the detergent was expensive. I could buy it on sale for 3.99 for 32 loads if I was lucky and I stocked up when I did. If it was not on sale it was $6-$8, so I really hated running out. It would be nice not to have to pay much but why mess with what works.

Fast forward to a few months ago, another friend wanted me to try her all natural laundry detergent that she made. My response was automatic - we don't use powdered detergent. To my surprise she explained that it was a liquid. She had made ten gallons for about 10 dollars. She brought some over and I put it behind my other laundry detergent.

Eventually I ran out of my regular detergent so I gave the homemade stuff a try. I liked the smell and it seemed to work the same. We have been using it for awhile now and honestly no one has noticed a difference between that and the expensive stuff we were buying. So when we started to run out I got the recipe from my friend and made my own.

The recipe can be found here . Liquid Laundry Detergent

The products

Started by grating the fels-naptha soap bar


Added it all together and melted it.


Added it to the bucket then filled it up.


The next day it was this gel stuff. 


The kids had fun with this and now I have 10 gallons of laundry detergent. This has been a success and it also has led me to try making a liquid dishwasher detergent that has also been a success  I will blog on that later. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment