Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gluten Free Journey

So our journey started on March 4th, twenty six days ago. I remember this because March 3rd was my birthday and we went to Red Lobster. I had the pasta because I knew I wouldn't be eating out again. So our experiment has become a journey, why? Because we have seen enough changes to really not want to go back.

I must admit I did cheat a week into it but I have been good since then. Lucas has done well and lost 15lbs (as I read this back to him, he informed me it is 20lbs now. Can we say brat?) already with just a few changes, I however have not been so lucky. The boys are adjusting. It is definitely a journey.

Some Things I have discovered

  1. I miss bread. I need to find a good recipe.
  2. Gluten free pasta is not as bad as I thought it would be. Winco sells several in their bulk foods section.
  3. Winco sells several gluten free items in their bulk food items
  4. Wheat is in taco seasoning. McCormicks is okay.
  5. Hard tacos are not as good as soft tacos - need to find a recipe for soft tortillas
  6. Gluten free brownies are the bomb.
  7. Gluten free brownies have ALOT of sugar in them.
  8. Gluten free items can be found with other items in the store and are often quite a bit cheaper than the ones in the gluten free isle.
  9. Just because it's gluten free doesn't mean I should eat it. 
  10. Did I say I miss bread. I had tuna and crackers the other day and I was really wishing for some good ole white bread. 
So we continue on this journey, hoping for more positive changes down the road. I am also cutting out soda pop. Apparently diet soda kill brain cells? I really need to keep the few brain cells I have left. Oh and cutting back on sugar, thats going to be a fun one - NOT.


No comments:

Post a Comment