Saturday, March 09, 2013

Gluten Free Experiment - Week 1

On Monday we started our gluten free experiment. This week has been interesting to say the least. Some good and some bad. Overall I feel it was very successful and we are already seeing a difference.

Monday -
So I let Lucas cheat today. We had eaten at Red Lobster Sunday night and had some left overs. While we did give half of them away we still had some left over pasta so he took that to lunch. I packed home made lunchables with GF crackers. I am glad the kids liked the crackers, I was worried because I did not like them at all. Of course I did not tell the boys that. Dinner was easy has we just had meat, potatoes and veggies.

Tuesday - 
So all of us are suppose to be on board. My goal is to make this transition as painless as possible. Lunch was similar to yesterday. I did go to Costco and got veggies and fruits that I added to it. We had Tacos for dinner and used corn tortillas. I grabbed a Taco seasoning from the cabinet and discovered it had gluten in it. Seriously? Well I kinda winged it and grabbed for spices. I think I used cayenne pepper, chili seasoning and ground red pepper. No one said anything and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Nathanial even went back for seconds.

We also made brownies that were a big hit are definitely going to have to make them again. Everyone is doing well except Nathanial who is having a hard time adjusting and keeps cheating. I am sure he will get it. We are trying to let him do this on his own but I might have to intervene and talk to his teacher. We did notice at scouts tonight that Timmy's circles under his eyes are fading. This is also the second day that I really didn't feel like I needed a nap.

Wednesday -
Timmy has found his energy again. He is like his old self. I am not sure that it's the changes in the diet or what because nothing else has really changed. He was bouncing off the walls. It was nice seeing him like this again. I made spaghetti with brown rice penne that everyone enjoyed. Nathanial refused to try it but it got packed in his lunch on Thursday. He decided he liked it and will give the other dishes a chance.

Overall - 
It was a good week. Lucas has lost some weight. I was starting to feel better but am either going through withdrawal or getting sick, I haven't been able to decifer which one yet. I get to try to new recipes next week. I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment