Thursday, December 06, 2012

Our Memory Tree

I remember my first Christmas tree with Lucas. It had white lights and blue and silver ball ornaments. Everything was evenly spaced and looked great. I think we did red the next year. Oh how things have changed.

Sunday I came home and the boys had put the Christmas tree together all by themselves. I must admit they did a good job. By Wednesday we had still not gotten around to decorating it because I kept putting it off. I decided to give up control and let the boys decorate the tree this year. Not only did they decorate it on their own but they did it with the sitter while I was gone.

Nathanial Age 4
The boys put on three stands of lights. I had to laugh when we plugged them in that night. Around the bottom and the top are the rainbow lights connected in the middle with a stand of plain red ones. Lucas asked if I was going to "fix" it. I honestly thought about it and while last year I probably would have this year things are different. So it stands in our living room just as they decorated it. They are so proud.

Our tree has evolved over the year. I have set aside the glass balls and in there place hangs memories. Each year we add a few more pieces. It started with their first Christmas ornament, then their second. Those first few years of searching for just the right ornament for each of the boys was a highlight of mine. The last few they have gotten to pick out their own so I am excited to start the hunt for Kassie's second Christmas ornament. With the start of school so did the various ornaments that they made and gave to us.
Timmy Age 2
Timmy made in Preschool












Kassie's 1st Christmas
Last year we were able to go shopping and pick out a special ornament for our little girl. I keep searching and just couldn't find the right one. Lucas and I decided to stop by Hallmark and we found it. It was perfect. The star on the ornament says "From God." I am curious what this years will be. I never know until we find that special one. 

Starting a few years back when the boys started asking when we got certain ornaments I started putting the date and their initial on the bottom of the ornaments. This helps us know how old they were when we got them and tells us what they were into that year. After they move out and are settled I hope to give them a Christmas gift of their ornaments throughout the years.

It's not the Christmas Tree that I always envisioned, it's so much better. It's our tree full of memories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment