Friday, December 28, 2012

25 days of Christmas - Review and Thoughts - What I learned.


So we got to day 21 with the activities. I had another few activities for 22-25 but they didn't get done. I think we will try this again next year, it was a lot of fun but maybe do different activities and have them planned out better. Maybe put together the crafts and stuff in a zip lock bag so that it is ready to go.

The fort and gingerbread train were their favorites. We had fun and this experiment made me wonder why do this in December? Why does this have to be a one time a year. It made me realize that these activities or similar activities can be done year round. As a family we had a blast. Sure we didn't do everything that was planned and some nights we switched things around but it was fun and we all had a great time and bonded. 


This has reminded me that fun does not just happen. Some days it's just built in but we get in a rut. The kids get home from school and have a snack then do their homework. After that we go off to swim practice, scouts, or Awana, one of our many activities that we do. We do this day in and day out then wonder why we are constantly bickering at each other. Everything is fine as long as we are on the go but when we are home it's a "I'm bored" "there's nothing to do". 


I have rediscovered that it's fun to sit in the dark with my family and watch a movie that we all enjoy, instead of the kids in one room and the grown ups in another. I have enjoyed playing games with my kids and teaching them new games. I have learned that I enjoy teaching them to cook. Yes the kitchen is messier when we are done but there are a lot of laughs and giggles in the process.

So our next project - a jar full of fun, family activities. The boys are going to help with some of the ideas so I can't wait to see what they are. I want to be more intentional about being active in my family and not just being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment